my thought is that multi amping a system is not the cheapest way to set up a system,
but done 'right' can sound very nice....
so you have the extra amplifiers/interconnects/etc to use also?
Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion about using PC based digital crossover software? After some internet searching, I have found two products from about 3 web pages of search results. Foobar, of which I can't navigate their site and Thuneau.
I know nothing about this stuff, but I understand that I would need an internal routing multi channel sound card with at least 6 outputs (four for a 2 way stereo speaker and at least one more if I ever add a subwoofer. I learned a little about it here;
DIY Home Theater Speaker Builders; "how to Build the best DIY Speakers, Less $$"
DSP Crossover for PC. Frequency Allocator.
I could also get an analog electronic XO for about $100 from Parts Express.
It just seems to me that it might be the easiest, cheapest way to play around with XO points and slopes. Maybe not.
Pre Edit; it looks like something like a M-Audio is what's needed, but at $250, I guess not...But anyway, any thoughts?
http://www.nanosys1.com/snd-m-fw-410.html
"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]
my thought is that multi amping a system is not the cheapest way to set up a system,
but done 'right' can sound very nice....
so you have the extra amplifiers/interconnects/etc to use also?
.........................
dave's not hear
RCA cables from KMart, no problem, as well as a 30 watt amp for the 32B horn. As for me accumulating all of the parts needed to build a multi crossover frequency experimental XO and then having to add a subwoofer later anyway, and then actually doing the building, it's just never going to happen.
Doing everything on my computer sounds nice, I wouldn't ever have to climb off my couch, but who knows? Not knowing anything about Electronic crossovers, I have glanced at this one in my price range; ART 311 Stereo 2-Way Crossover with Sub Out 245-862

I actually got a nice M-Audio that is $250 new for half that from eBay and it was New in the box.
M-AUDIO - Fast Track Pro - 4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps
It's a very nice measurement sound card that comes with 48v phantom power for a Mic as well.Would this work for you ?
AB, I have no idea what works and doesn't, I can't understand the literature or the language.I have been surfing and reading forum threads of people who what to do the same thing, but I don't understand what they are saying either, and I'm sure I would never find the same threads again, and they weren't that helpful anyways.
There was a guy over on DIY audio that I think strictly did all his stuff through his computer. He sounded very knowledgeable about it and was always trying new things.... Wish I had some more info but I don't.
Budget a couple hundred more and go with a stand alone digital loudspeaker management system like the DCX-2496 and the required connectors/cables.I could also get an analog electronic XO for about $100 from Parts Express.
It just seems to me that it might be the easiest, cheapest way to play around with XO points and slopes. Maybe not.
The hundred dollar analog network is likely going to have a single fixed slope and order, you'll be able to change the XO point, but that's about it.
Most important and regardless of what active path you choose, since this would be your first time out(going active) i would strongly urge you to source a pair of decent quality capacitors(dayton 5% would be fine) sized to provide a knee point an octave below your intended XO freq to put inline with your horn drivers. This will protect them from low frequency over-excursion in the event LF signal is accidentally sent to them. A couple caps are cheap insurance as opposed to a broken diaphragm and the turnaround time to get a replacement. Once you are familiar and confident with your understanding and operation of the network you can omit the caps.
Bookmarks